Logging in to 386/ix via telnet over, TCP/IP

Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics max at lgc.UUCP
Thu Oct 5 23:39:20 AEST 1989

In article <2316 at uceng.UC.EDU>, dmocsny at uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny) writes:
> I have installed 386/ix version 2.0.1 with TCP/IP on a Compaq
> Though I can telnet to the very ends of the earth, the ends of the
> earth cannot telnet back to me. My machine hastens to answer the
> distant calls with login: and password: prompts, but though remoteuser
> types them with the diligence of the most faithful scribe, my machine
> can only rasp the reply "login incorrect".

There was a bug in 386/ix 2.0.1 that can be worked around by moving the
encrypted password field in the /etc/shadow file to the appropriate place
in the /etc/passwd file.  Granted, this is a kluge, and does not allow
auto updating with the passwd file.  It does allow you to do work, though...
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751