DOS Merge/ Networks/ fifos

Jon Zeeff zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
Sat Oct 14 07:19:04 AEST 1989

Someone might find it interesting how I sometimes backup this system.
I run Microport '386 unix with dos merge.  vp/ix might also work.

Under dos merge, I run a LANTASTIC network to a dos only system (yes,
lantastic works ok as a client under dos merge).  I created a fifo in
/dev and run (from unix)

        find / -depth -print | cpio -ocv | compress > /dev/fifo

>From dos merge I run

        dd if=j:\dev\fifo of=n:unixcpio.z

Where j: is the dos name for the unix file system and dd is the mks
program.  COPY might also work.  The compress is optional and not a good
idea if you get any errors).

The net result is that I backup the unix file system onto a dos
system.  Might be useful if you had lots of dos disk space or a tape
drive that only worked under real dos.

Branch Technology                  |  zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us