Boot Problems with 386/ix

Cindy Howell cindy at spica.ucsc.edu
Sun Oct 15 03:21:18 AEST 1989

(Posted for a friend whose news machine is down)

In article <1278 at virtech.UUCP> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <1778 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, fritzz at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>> I tried my disk on the machine of a colleague and my diskette and his
>> both boot without problems on his machine. But neither of them does
>> on mine.
[ ... ]
>If you cant boot from the floppy, you are out of luck.  That is why I
>always boot to single user mode (and I removed the /etc/sulogin program
>and replaced it with a link to /bin/sh).

If your friend is a REAL friend you might try this hack:

1. Bring you friend's bootable hard disk drive to your machine.
2. Move your hard disk drive to the second hard disk and install your
   friends as the primary.
3. Diddle with the CMOS so the drive types are correct.
4. Boot. Mount the secondary hard disk and run fsck, change the password
   file or whatever.

Note that you must both have the same hard disk controller type
(although sometimes it is sufficient that they are the same
manufacturer)

Good luck.

Andy Burgess
andy at netcom.uucp