Where to purchase ISC and/or SCO UNIX sys V

Larry Snyder root at nstar.UUCP
Tue Oct 17 22:15:51 AEST 1989

> What is the price comparison between ISC and SCO for a workstation setup
> with X windows (including development packages)?  Which is better?

You will get different answers on this question - but here are my
2 cents worth.

I originally went with Interactive 2.02 purchased from ISC in Hollis,
NH. The technical support out of Hollis is bad - I mean real bad.  You
ask them a question about modem configuration - and they say "we don't
support the type of modem since it doesn't work" instead of trying to
isolate the problems (which by the way was is in their drivers).   After
numerous problems and complaints - which all went ignored by Brian @
technical support in Hollis - I threatened to return the product and
charge back the about to their account that they posted on the Visa.
Brian called and made a list of my problems and said he would get back
to me - which he never did.  Calls to Kurt Lynn (he runs the Hollis
office) also went un-answered.

I ended up selling my copy of ISC - and the new owner is running into
some of the same problems.  Tech support is needed since the manuals
are so very bad - and major items are left out.  ISC blames the problem
in AT&T - yet the SCO manuals are well written.

I found out this week that no upgrade is available from 1.06 (for a friend) - one has
to purchased a complete set of the latest release unless unless on one of the
support plans.  This is crazy.

ISC has major problems - most of them relating to support (ie: the Hollis
office).  The Hollis office wasn't aware of the X5 kernel configuration
kit 4 weeks after it was released.

I could go on and on - but I won't.  I would suggest keeping away from ISC.
SCO Unix has a few problems - but based on their Xenix product and responses -
they will be fixed if they currently are not.