Accounting packages and unix, (maybe with vpix?).

John G. De Armond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Wed Oct 11 17:25:00 AEST 1989

In article <LARRY.89Oct10103753 at focsys.UUCP> larry at UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>Our financial department is growing and we would like to integrate
>their computer system with the company wide unix network. Currently
>they are running one small ms-dos based system.
>Pure unix accounting packages seem too expensive. We don't want to pay
>$20k to keep track of our meager earnings!
>Pure ms-dos packages are fine as long as we can run them on vp/ix and
>as long as the data is sharable by the 2 or 3 users.

I would not build a production system on vp/ix.  Too much of a resource hog.
Why don't you look at one of the dBase - based packages like SBT and run
it under the unix version of FoxBase?  That should be a good combination.

I used to use the SBT accounting software as my VAR package back in
the good old CP/M days.  it ran well under the CP/M version of
dBase II.  That was my last experience so buyer beware!!!

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You