File system problems with 386/ix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Fri Oct 13 12:07:07 AEST 1989

In article <2462 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, gb7 at prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:
> (see below). However, when I invoke fsck again, it again complains about
> the same things that it just supposedly fixed. Does anybody have any ideas?
> Shouldn't these problems be fixed after running fsck?

That depends upon how you run the fsck.  Fsck should be run on a non-mounted
file system.  Obviously, if you are running on the system the root
partition will be mounted, but you can run fsck with specific flags which allow
the unmounting and remounting of the root partition.  These are used in the
/etc/bcheckrc file:

	/etc/fsck -y -s -D -b ${rootfs}

where rootfs=/dev/root.

>   ** Phase 5 - Check Free List
>   9003 BLK(S) MISSING
>   BAD FREE LIST
>   SALVAGE?

This will always appear under interactive (if the file system is mounted)
since they purposly damage the free list on the drive while the file
system is unmounted.  This is part of thier high performace disk driver package.