inittab action entries under ISC 386/ix

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Thu Oct 5 11:01:13 AEST 1989

In article <965 at dialogic.UUCP> alan at dialogic.UUCP (Alan Murphy) writes:
>Hi,
> I am developing device drivers under ISC 386/ix 3.2 and I
>need to be able to create an inittab entry at build time. ...
>(basically the operation involves downloading code to a controller at
>power up time). ...

It's a lot easier to put your startup commands in a file in /etc/init.d
and link them into /etc/rc2.d, like all of the other startup commands.
That's the standard way to run initialization scripts and it's a lot less
fragile than fooling with inittab.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine at YALE.edu