Micronics 386 motherboards

Cliff C Heyer cliffhanger at cup.portal.com
Sun Oct 8 08:27:30 AEST 1989

Toby A David asks...
>1. Advantages to the 25mhz with cache memory board?
The cache is more useful with DOS because it is more
likely that your code will  stay in the cache. With UNIX
the cache may get flushed at each context switch. But  I
suppose if you have a 128KB cache it may not all get
flushed, but this would take  some internals hacking to
know for sure. 25MHz has a clock time of 40ns. If the
code  your running fits all in the cache you'll cook.
BUT if your accessing slow main memory  with 100ns DRAM
which has 200ns cycle time, obviously you'll have many
wait states.  In fact, if your applications are not
going to make use of the cache, then you might as  well
buy a 16MHz 386 with a clock time of 62ns, because the
25MHz will be waiting for  memory all the time and only
be running as fast as a 16MHz machine.

>2. 100ns ram, or do you prefer the 80ns ?
For 25MHz, clock time is 40ns. For 0 wait states you
would have to be able to do a memory access in 40ns. The
fastest DRAM is 60ns, BUT if you get 4MB 4-way
interleaved 160ns DRAM then your cycle time would be
40ns ASSUMING you are reading bytes sequentially from
memory. If your application does lots of random memory
reads, though, you'll have wait states again. (PS
interleaved memory is not new - computers like the
DECsystem-10 and 20s of the 70s used it for the same
reason.) If you want 0 wait states all the time, you'll
need 40ns main memory which would have to be SRAM
(static-RAM). But no board makers are making 40ns boards
for 386 PCs - they are too busy making them to sell
$50,000 workstations. I think if they made them for PCs
the economy of scale would drive the price down, but
then who would pay $50,000 for a workstation?

>3. Any problems with the memory interleave?
See #2.

>4. Optimum bus speed & wait states for the above
operating systems?
You might as well stick with the 8MHz AT bus so you'll
be sure all the boards you use will work. However, what
you might want is a board that has a SCSI or ESDI
controller "on board" BYPASSING the AT-bus with a direct
channel to memory. On the other hand, I've been told
that a "good" DMA board design will allow you to pump
1MB/sec through the AT bus, but most boards are slow
because they are cheaper to make and customers arn't
aware enough about speed to complain.

>5. Any problems with any particular MFM or ESDI
controllers/drives ?
YES! You will find machines advertized as having
1.2MB/sec ESDI, but when you get the machine in your
office and benchmark it you find it does only 300KB/sec
raw I/O. I have yet to find out what is wrong with these
mahcines. All I can say is don't buy before you see
someone with an ACTUAL MACHINE that gives you raw
I/O of 900KB/sec before you buy!