Let's Talk ESIX

D'Arcy Cain darcy at bbm.UUCP
Fri Oct 13 22:44:32 AEST 1989

One other thing about ESIX is their claim that their C compiler is
"ANSI-Standard C" as per their slickie.  Even assuming that ANSI
standard means some sort of compliance with the soon to be ANSI
standard, the compiler shipped with ESIX isn't even close.  It
is nothing more or less than pcc.  That was actually one of the
reasons I went with ESIX (ENIX) over other systems and I was very
dissapointed that it wasn't as advertised.  I didn't find Everex
(or at least the local distributor) overly concerned about the
fact that they were advertising something different than they
shipped.

I have also found a bug in their curses routines.  The halfdelay()
routine doesn't work as advertised.  (test program available on
request.)

I understand that release C is about to be released and I am waiting
to see what improvements they make.

One thing that they do ship that is nice is in their manual they
have an appendix called "Application Software Installation" which
explains how to set up an install procedure for installpkg.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain
(darcy at bbm, darcy at cain)