SCSI tape drives.

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Fri Sep 29 01:05:26 AEST 1989

In article <9680 at chinet.chi.il.us> pdg at chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) writes:

>Has anyone actually got SCSI tape drives to work on ISC 2.0.2?
>
>.....  Opening the scsi
>tape devices (ct or nrct) fail with errorno -1 (PERMISSION),
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^
>even though the actual device permissions are OK, and I was
>root.

If this is not a typo and you actually got a -1 and not a 1 then the
error is not EPERM (permission denied), rather it looks like a problem
in the device driver code. The u.u_error structure member is not being
set to anything intelligible, it is simply all ones which means it is
probably uninitialized. Someone at ISC who has the driver code should
take a look at the code and figure out what's wrong. Have you tried to
call their support?

Good luck,

Disclaimer: IMHO only.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu