HP Laserjet II on ISC 2.02, need help

mark hilliard mark at gizzmo.UUCP
Sun Sep 10 10:52:59 AEST 1989

In article <1683 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu> fritzz at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>I need some help to get a HP Laserjet II running under Interactive
>ix/386 version 2.0.2
>I tried to install it with the SYSADM script for setting up a printer.
>The menu offers a "hplaser" option.

Interactive left out this driver in the latest release and should include it
in the next.  You really dont need it anyways.

>I then tried to set it up as a "mtx80" printer. This is recognized
>but the output is a lot of empty pages and one and a half line of Xs.
>Probably not the right printer?

Good choise, but the problem is cr to lf translations going on between your
lp service and printer.  Find the line in:
	      /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/mtx80

where:

	       cat $file (other stuff)

and change cat to lef:

	       lef $file (other stuff)

This should take care of the line or 2 of x's on the paper.
Be advised that the x's are part of the cover sheet that is printed
with each lp request and can be disabled by editing the file that you
just changed.

Keep in mind that this is NOT the best interface for the laserjet, but
until you buy or write one of your own it will have to do.  There is a
set of NICE drivers and utilities for the laserjet from:

PC Research, Inc.
201-389-8963

that I have tried and found VERY nice.

>There is another thing a wondered about. I thought the first parallel
>printer port should be /dev/lp0 but the printer only answers on
>/dev/lp1. Am I wrong? Is it because the parallel interface is set
>on address 0x378 ?

Hmm, check your interrupt line and make sure that it is right. There are 2
assigned for the parallel interface and you might have them reversed.
--
Mark Hilliard                        {ethos,fthood,u1100a}-----\
   N2HHR                                rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!mark