386/ix on Toshiba 5200 with WD8003?

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sat Sep 23 04:28:28 AEST 1989

In article <1878 at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:
|I have a Toshiba 5200/100 running 386/ix v2.0 and am attempting to install
|their TCP/IP package using a Western Digital WD8003 Etherplus card...  I have
|not yet been successful even after going through countless configuration
|attempts: changing interrupt vectors, jumpers, disabling serial ports,
|changing ethernet boards, slowing the bus speed...  You name it, I've tried it.
|
|Has anybody ever installed an ethernet card into a Toshiba?

Not into a Toshiba, but I had similar problems into a Northgate and I
suspect you'll have similar problems into anything.

The Ethercard Plus driver does not do the software configuration
necessary to set up the RAM buffer address of the ethercard.  The
installation says that you should give it the address set on the card,
but there are no settings anymore.

What I did to get around this was use the default address that the
ethercard uses, namely c4000-c5fff.  This works great.

My particular card is set up as follows and works with no problems:

IRQ 5 (IRQ 3 is COM2, which we need)
IO address range 2a0-2bf (one of my other cards used 280-29f)
RAM buffer address c4000-c5fff

I've talked with ISC tech support about this and they (at least the
"they" I spoke with) weren't even aware that this was a problem.  They
do now.  Note that this means you cannot install 2 of the beasties no
matter how hard you try; no gatewaying with the ethercard plus.

Aside from installation problems, ISC works very well with this card.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com