SLIP for 386/ix ?

Tor Lillqvist tml at hemuli.atk.vtt.fi
Thu Sep 28 00:25:21 AEST 1989

Is SLIP available for 386/ix TCP/IP?  Public domain or freely
distributable preferred.  I can do ftp.

And if such a beast isn't available, how difficult would it be to
implement it yourself?  At first I thought that it would be
straightforward to write a STREAMS module that implements the SLIP
framing of IP datagrams.  But how do you get it pushed in between IP
and the driver for the serial line?  (Yes, I know "asy" isn't a
STREAMS driver, but suppose you have a STREAMS driver for either a
built-in port, or some serial card.  Let's call it "serialline".)

The netd.cf file seems to be the right place where you could add more
interfaces, but there is no "push" command in netd, only "link".  Does
this mean that a SLIP module has to be written as a (dummy,
one-to-one) multiplexing module?  Or is it possible to to run a
program that opens /dev/serialline, pushes SLIP onto it, and goes to
sleep forever before netd is run, so that when netd links serialline
under tcp_ip, the SLIP module will get between ip and serialline
automatically?

P.S.  Is there any anon ftp site that has (other) stuff for 386/ix
available?
--
Tor Lillqvist
Technical Research Centre of Finland, Computing Services (VTT/ATK)