386/ix v2.0.2 vs. v2.0.1

Steven H. Izen izen at amelia.nas.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 28 05:47:23 AEST 1989

In article <2102 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gb7 at prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:
>Can someone post what the differences between 386/ix v2.0.2 and
>v2.0.1 are? Those of us who have v2.0.1 would like to know. What is
>ISC charging roughly for an upgrade?

They charged me $25 + shipping for the upgrade.

The only difference which I've noticed (or had the occasion to try out)
was that the c-shell wildcards now work when accessing (sp?) a DOS file
system.  There were a bunch of other bug fixes too, but they weren't all
that relevant for my system.

WARNING- There is supposed to be an erratta or addendum sheet that I didn't
get with my update.  I wasted many hours "fixing" things that the upgrade
blew away during installation:
	1) the modifications I made to /etc/gettydefs were lost-  So much for
	   my nice colorful login prompts. :-)
	2) /etc/issue was rebuilt.  I had to delete all the text in it again.
	   (Interactive Systems name is already all over the system :-) )
        3) The sysadm scripts for changing the status of tty ports was
	   broken.  After running the scripts, two entries for tty00
	   appeared in /etc/inittab.  I removed the offending lines from
	   init.base and the problem went away.
	4) The kernel wouldn't build until I modified the master device
	   file (I forget which one it was and I'm not at my machine right
	   now) until I told it that the major device number for xw is 56.
	   This one was supposedly on the errata sheet.  ISC tech support
	   helped me with that one.
	5) The names of two operating system facilities that I had configured
	   into my system were mysteriously renamed "L"
	6) The new /dev/logi (an addiitional feature of 2.0.2 is that you
	   don't have to buy  X to get Logitech Bus Mouse support) was so
	   sensitive to movement that even using the "slow mouse" setting
	   in X was a joke.  Solution - (Confirmed by ISC tech support
	   after I bitched) Use the driver supplied with X. I was also
	   told "There's no pleasing everyone :-)"
	7) The root (and possibly other) crontabs were restored to default.
	   In particular, the UUCP entries were all gone, and I had to
	   reenter them by hand.  I noticed this because my system wasn't
	   polling another the way it was supposed to.
	8) When I configure the kernel and bring up the new environment,
	   I get warning messages that idmknod can't make the special
	   device files for my archive tape drive.  These files are already
	   there.   I haven't spent the time to track this one down
	   because it seems relatively harmless, and I want to use my
	   system, not play at being a systems manager :-)

The funniest thing is that I thought I was ordering the X5 config update,
and when my package arrived, it was the 2.0.2 upgrade!  I had been trying
to get that for a while (I never was able to get thru to the upgrade phone
number ISC had given me).  I'm still waiting on the X5 disk...

--
Steve Izen: {sun,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!izen386!steve
or steve%izen386.uucp at skybridge.scl.cwru.edu
or izen at cwru.cwru.edu		"My second bike is a car."