RLL controllers & 386/ix

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Mon Sep 4 10:19:19 AEST 1989

In article <1115 at aber-cs.UUCP>, pcg at aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
> In article <1989Aug29.162452.10538 at agate.uucp> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> I am using an ACB 2372B on my 386 with ESIX 3.2; it works fine. It is
> quite fast, and does have a read ahead cache (small), which helps a little
> bit. It does support 1:1 low level format. The ESIX disc driver is
> not a speed monster unfortunately.

I also am using an Adaptec 2372(b) with dual Micropolis 1335 drives
under 386/ix and they are working just fine (so far).

The original ISC documentation mentions that the OS will only work
with drives in the CMOS drive table - and makes no mention of the
BIOS on the controller card - but docuements conflict that information
by mentioning that the controller BIOS will work.  Since I have a
drive type of 47 which can be defined in the BIOS by entering
the number of heads, etc. I tried both ways (by also using the
controller BIOS and setting the CMOS to a drive type 1) and ISC
worked either way.

--
Larry Snyder              uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site, Notre Dame, IN USA