X-windows

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Sat Sep 30 16:05:06 AEST 1989

In article <1037 at mcneild.misemi> mcneild at mcneild.misemi (Doug McNeil) writes:
>I am attempting to put X-windows onto Interactive 386/ix version 2.0.1. I have a
>25MHZ machine with ATI VGA. It kind of works (mouse input is somewhat slow, and
>it blows away my VTs, but...), however _xterm_ fails with "Error 50, errno 14:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Bad address". I've looked at the sources and it seems that error 50 has to do
>with ERROR_SELECT. What is it trying to select? Anyone have any ideas?

I have not spent the time necessary to completely analyse the code, but a
quick perusal suggested that one of the select calls are done with the
address of a mask that has to do with the screen. Now you mention above
that the server blows away your virtual terminals, this should not happen,
so I suspect that whatever causes that is also causing the server to have
bad data in its structure, hence the bad address return code on the select.
The list of supported VGA cards does not include the ATI card, so I
strongly suspect it is the problem.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu