Success stories with GNU* with 386/ix?

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Tue Sep 19 00:54:26 AEST 1989

In article <6361 at turnkey.gryphon.COM> jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM writes:
>The debugger, gdb is another matter. I don't know of anyone who has gotton
>this beast to run under 386/ix mainly because it requires the GNU ld and
>it is not very portable. ...

I got GDB 3.2 to work with practically no effort at all, using the standard
assembler and linker that come with /ix.  I config'ed it for i386, made the
simple changes in the makefile that the config script suggests, and built it.
The only problems were that the names of some of the fields in the u. block
have changed, and there is a dependency on ioctl names that is confused.

Here are the diffs relative to distributed gdb 3.2:
********** Makefile ***********
42,43c42,43
< #CC=gcc -O
< CC=cc
---
> CC=gcc -O
> @CC=cc
45,46c45,46
< #YACC=bison -y -v
< YACC=yacc
---
> YACC=bison -y -v
> @YACC=yacc
69,70c69,70
< REGEX =
< REGEX1 =
---
> REGEX = regex.o
> REGEX1 = regex.o
78,79c78,79
< #GNU_MALLOC =
< GNU_MALLOC = malloc.o
---
> GNU_MALLOC =
> #GNU_MALLOC = malloc.o
88,89c88,89
< # SYSV_DEFINE = -DSYSV
< SYSV_DEFINE =
---
> SYSV_DEFINE = -DSYSV
> #SYSV_DEFINE =
97a98
> #TERMCAP = -ltermcap
101c102
< CLIBS = ${ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP}
---
> #CLIBS = ${ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP}
103c104
< #CLIBS= {$ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP} -lPW
---
> CLIBS= ${ADD_FILES} ${TERMCAP} -lPW
166,167c167,168
< .c.o:
< 	${CC} -c ${CFLAGS} $<
---
> #.c.o:
> #	${CC} -c ${CFLAGS} $<
********** i386-dep.c ***********
1175c1175,1176
<   uaddr = (char *)&u.u_fpstate - (char *)&u;
---
>   /* uaddr = (char *)&u.u_fpstate - (char *)&u; */
>   uaddr = (char *)&u.u_fps.u_fpstate - (char *)&u;
43a44
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl, Levine at YALE.edu