getty spawning too fast in 386/ix?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Sun Sep 3 01:07:14 AEST 1989

In article <21774 at cup.portal.com>, dstein at cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
> I'm trying to direct connect a terminal via COM1: on a 386/25 system
> running ISC 2.0.2.  I have editted /etc/inittab to respawn 00 starting
> at 9600 baud (I know that I also eventually need to change
> /etc/conf/init.base [or whatever]), but after changing inittab and
> execututing telinit Q I get the following erromessage:
>   INIT: getty respawning too quickly

This is usually caused by the open on the device failing.  In setting up a new
tty port, I usually ensure that the following works (displays output on the
tty) prior to starting the getty.

	(
	 	stty 9600
		cat /etc/passwd
	) > /dev/tty?? <&1 2>&1

If this works then the getty shouldn't fail to open the device.