1-2 vs unlimited licenses (Unix for a 386)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Wed Sep 6 07:47:04 AEST 1989

I think I confused my terminology in several places here... let me restate
what I said so it makes more sense:

In article <9234 at attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, chasm at attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:
> In article <5956 at ficc.uu.net>, peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > This doesn't follow, because [ISC] has no money at risk on the
> > unlimited license. They don't have to send the cash to AT&T until the
> > product sold, so the only capital at risk (which is what you should be
> > judging profit margins against) is the packaging and warehouse space.

> If the retailer pays $X wholesale on the box he DOES have $X at risk.
> And if the other box cost him $(X+100) he DOES have $(X+100) at risk.

You're right. I meant ISC, not the retailer. The retailer has to charge
$(x+100) * (1+markup). But ISC doesn't. So why do they?

> This had better be true (as you mention in the paragraph below), but it is
> not as much higher as the naieve analysis might indicate.

Pretty close, once you get the players right.

Of course, ISC doesn't seem to be providing the support one would expect from
their higher profits...
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'