SCO MicroSoft C Compiler comments

mattioli at took.dec.com mattioli at took.dec.com
Thu Sep 7 23:18:06 AEST 1989

In article <123591 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, plocher%sally at Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes...
>They provide Microsoft C as their default compiler, but they also give you
>a version of pcc.  When the two are benchmarked, MSC comes out looking faster!
>
>OK, says I, this does not jive with what I've seen of the MSC compiler - I mean,
>pcc is slow, but not *THAT* slow :-)
>
>Some sluthing later, it turns out that the version of pcc that SCO provides
>with their 3.2 system is considerably slower than that provided by AT&T's 3.2!

	Does anyone out there know how gcc (the free software foundation's c
compiler) compares with msc and pcc for speed of compilation, speed of compiled
code, size of compiled code, etc?

					John Mattioli
				"The Guy with the Bumpy Watch"

(DEC E-NET)	TOOK::MATTIOLI
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!TOOK.dec.com!MATTIOLI
(ARPA)		MATTIOLI at TOOK.dec.com
                MATTIOLI%TOOK.dec.com at decwrl.dec.com
(US MAIL)	John Mattioli
		550 King St. LKG2-2/BB9