SCSI tape drives.

Paul Guthrie pdg at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed Sep 27 14:46:34 AEST 1989

Has anyone actually got SCSI tape drives to work on ISC 2.0.2?
Other people have posted this question, and I have never seen
a reply saying yes.

According to one person, the only success he had was with the tape
configured with a SCSI ID greater than 4, while the Archive 2150ES
manual, says that the high bit jumper of the 3 ID jumpers is
not used, effectively limiting the ID to 3 or less.

Well, I've configured the kernel as specified, upgraded my 2150ES
firmware to the latest version, and tried about every possible
combination of jumpers, but with no success.  Opening the scsi
tape devices (ct or nrct) fail with errorno -1 (PERMISSION),
even though the actual device permissions are OK, and I was
root.  The adaptec controller seems to recognize the drive
(the active light flickers during the adaptec BIOS install),
and the kernel at least tries to determine SCSI devices (the
tapes light flickers again during the device inits after the
copywrite).

Well, I've followed the manuals to the T, and tried about
everything, but to no avail.  Has anyone actually got this
working, or is Interactive selling vaporware or the tape drive
equivilent of their asy  driver?

I am, however impressed with the performance of the SCSI
disk driver for the Adaptec.
I just wish I could back the sucker up with  something that
takes less time than 300 floppies :-).
--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul