Word Perfect 5.0 under vpix

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun Sep 3 14:58:52 AEST 1989

In article <597 at bigbroth.UUCP> rk at bigbroth.UUCP (rohan kelley) writes:
>We're running Dell (interactive 3.2) unix on a dell 310.  We can't get
>wp5.0 to run although 4.2 runs ok, including library.  Is anyone out
>there successfully running this configuration with wp5.0?

I got it working under AT&T 3.2 by putting it on a DOS partition on
the hard disk - it has no problems accessing data files in the
unix filesystem.  It will probably also work if you install it on
the VP/ix  C: drive or set up another similar virtual disk.  The
problem appears to with VP/ix file locking, since the files are
handled individually in the unix file system but the floppies and
DOS hard disk partitions are given to the first user that grabs
them.  Of course only one user can run WP and in only one session
unless you make other copies.
I don't see why VP/ix doesn't provide a real netbios interface
to each DOS session.  It certainly isn't usable as a multi-user
platform without it.  The funny thing is that this same 386 machine
is running AT&T's STARLAN DOS SERVER and has no problem providing
netbios services for its client machines including file locking and
unlocking, it just can't do it for itself with VP/ix.  On the other
hand, WP is probably just getting a different error code back from
the open to indicate that the file is read-only and could just as
well ignore it (it doesn't mind being loaded from read-only network
drives).

Les Mikesell