ESDI controller recommendations

Fred Rump from home fr at icdi10.UUCP
Tue Sep 12 18:04:41 AEST 1989

In article <71 at calcite.UUCP> vjs at calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:
>In article <1989Sep4.024559.13279 at ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>> > ...[a loud rebuttal]...
>> Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
>
>I got Mr. Denninger's dander up.  Be careful or thick skinned when not
>complimenting what people sell.  He is obviously wrong and inconsistent on
>several technical issues, but such technicalities are not germane to what
>he is saying.

Now wait a minute!

There are many of us out here who's gander is up. Don't just blame Karl for
accepting the world as it is today.

Your points are fine but they simply aren't relevant to what the market has to
offer. Sure some fine day there'll be better kernels and better everything
else too. And the discussion will continue. In the meantime some of us need to
make a living with what the best technology offers our customers NOW. We offen
call this 'bang for the buck'.

Sure, a Sequent with all it's 386's will do all your fancy footwork. Prime has
announced a 1000 user 386 system too. Dynix is a tuned UNIX for just such an
environment, but we start at a price point we can't even reach with the
products Karl is selling. So why are we even discussing it? It's such a
limited market in that $500,000 and up world that you can spend a lot of time
tuning one system while we've installed another 1000 Unix systems. Ok, so
they'll only run 30 users. But that's all we and our customers need. End of
story.

Fred Rump
--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr