Success stories with GNU* with 386/ix?

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Mon Sep 18 02:47:06 AEST 1989

In article <1868 at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:

>I am interested in other peoples' experiences in porting any of the GNU
>software under 386/ix, particularly the C compiler and the debugger.

The GNU C compiler, gcc builds without any problems at all, it is simply a
matter of configuring for ATT386 and then making it. It seems to produce
slightly better assembler than the supplied pcc does but I have not seen
such a difference in performance that I got blown away or anything. The one
disadvantage to it, is that its a real memory hog and thus can be slow if
you have a minimally configured system (read less than 4 Meg).

The debugger, gdb is another matter. I don't know of anyone who has gotton
this beast to run under 386/ix mainly because it requires the GNU ld and
it is not very portable. In fact, if I am mistaken and someone has gotton
it to work I would like to hear from you.

The C++ compiler, g++ is more problematic. I have the compiler frontend and
the main pass compiled, and have built libg++ but for some reason it does
not work right. However others have sent email saying that it works fine
for them. There are patches needed for this archive and I guess I just do
not have everything needed installed. This has been a low priority for me
at the moment, I hope to get it working one of these days. In fact, could
someone out there who has got g++ working please post all the requisite
patches here. I know I for one would really appreciate this.

Hope this helps,
Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu