How to choose a new 386 UNIX PC...

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Sat Sep 23 15:22:11 AEST 1989

>From article <4635 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, by dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer):
> In article <648 at visdc.UUCP> jiii at visdc.UUCP (John E Van Deusen III) writes:
>>I would like to

> IBM sells "X Windows for DOS" and Locus sells what I believe to be the
> same product, PC/Xsight.  I have no experience with either of these products.
> I believe you are limited to what you can do in 640K, but I could be wrong.

  I was reading that Locus just released version 2.0 of Xsight that is
compiled with Rational Tech. compilier which will all you to run up to
16meg extended memory. They also went to 11.3. It looks to be a good
low end type X Terminal under dos. Couple things I wonder about. What
eithernet cards it supports. And what they are going to do about a
file server. I would perfer NFS (even with it's flaws) something like
FTP's Interdrive. I read somewhere they where going to support TCF.
Can NFS and TCF reside on the same system with out any conflicts?
Has anyone tried a NFS client/server in conjunction with Locus
Xwindows talking on a eithernet to a 386ix X-windows server?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400