uugetty woes fixed (was: com2 under 386/ix)

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Wed Sep 20 07:00:11 AEST 1989

In article <109 at nstar.UUCP> root at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
|Someone mentioned that Xwindow docs are excellent.  Chances are those are
|the ones done by O'Reily ?.

There are three sets of X11 docs that come with the system.  Two of
them are O'Reily (sp?), the other is Interactive.  The Interactive
documentation is on installation, mostly, and is not terribly well
done.  It doesn't mention, for instance, that xrdb will not operate if
you don't have the C Development package because it requires cpp.  I
only found out because I installed X before installing the development
stuff.  There should also be some mention of two- versus three-button
mice (they have no way to map two to three as almost all other
versions of X I've used did), etc.  Installation of X11 doesn't
exactly follow the manual's description, either.

I have quite a few peeves about specific portions of the X11 package,
although as a whole it works remarkably well even on my 4mb system.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com