_UNIX_Today!_

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Fri Sep 8 20:49:48 AEST 1989

>From article <3526 at altos86.Altos.COM>, by pfrennin at altos86.Altos.COM (Peter Frenning):
> In article <971 at utoday.UUCP> greenber at utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>>
>>In article <357 at simon.UUCP> steve at simon.UUCP (Steven E. Piette) writes:
>
> Since "real users" are doing boring stuff like spreadsheets, databases, word-
> processing and similar things, I think what you need are benchmarks that more
> closely reflects such activities in a multiuser environment. Two benchmarks

  This is a good idea. What would be interesting is what happens to
the benchmark numbers when lets say a user recalulates a spreadsheet,
rebuilds an index to a database, or better yet compiles a large program
in C. This would at least give a vauge idea how the kernel and "one"
apps program affects system performance.

> comes to my mind: Neal Nelson's UNIX multiuser suite (commercial product, but
> available at a reasonable price) and TP1(public domain, and what all the biggies
> use for their benchmarks, operating system independant or reasonably so).
> I think that a combination of those come as close as possible to what we would
> really like to see.

  Also if you go this route include an explaination of why the benchmarks
are performed this way. i.e. like they are trying to simulate effect
of tree building of the first pass of a compilier, they are trying
to simulate how such and such company database disk io routines etc.

  Also if you can include a list of the tuneable parameters for the
kernel of each system you benchmark.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400