Cache board .vs. caching kernel (Re: ESDI controller recommendations)

Fred Rump from home fr at icdi10.UUCP
Tue Sep 12 18:34:54 AEST 1989

In article <73 at calcite.UUCP> vjs at calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:

[bunch of nonsense deleted]

>All of these companies have UNIX source, and are not affraid to try to do
>better than AT&T's file system, buffer cache, regions, etc.  Some, including
>my day time employer, have been successful.

Ok, shall we guess and blame Silicone Graphics for you?

Just for the hell of it, how many users would you hang onto one of those
wonderful workstations you describe? Are we still in the same general
neighborhood?

>After buying tape, 2nd hard disk, 2 UNIX's, RAM, TB+, and so on, I have
>about $10,000 in this 386 clone.  That may be less than the price of a
>useful SPARK Station or DEC 2100 (you need a disk), but not much less.
>During the day, I use a <censored>, and find it incomparably faster than
>this 386.  Someday maybe I'll be rich and able to replace it.

You sure got hosed by somebody. No wonder you hate your box. For that kind of
money we could put you into a neighborhood of real i/o. None of that fancy
graphics stuff, of course. We don't normally need it.

But lots of raw speed that would compete effectively with any of the boxes you
mentioned.

>Anyone buying a machine today should talk to more than the nearest PC VAR.
>Sorry, but I don't have useful sales office addresses for more than two of
>these vendors, and you should talk to them all, and others such as NEXT.

You seem to be completely ignorant of what the majority of the VARs that read
this group sell. UNIX/Xenix = multi-user. We need lots of i/o. Ergo a DPT.

The only RISC machine I know of that will also run lots of terminals is the
MIPS 2000. It starts at around $50G's. Not quite the neighborhood we were
talking about, right?

>Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.uucp   or    ...{pyramid,sgi}!calcite!vjs

Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr