_UNIX_Today!_

Peter Frenning pfrennin at altos86.Altos.COM
Thu Sep 7 16:30:39 AEST 1989

In article <971 at utoday.UUCP> greenber at utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:

>In article <357 at simon.UUCP> steve at simon.UUCP (Steven E. Piette) writes:
>> We all make mistakes from time to time, but too many
>>hide from the heat when that time comes.
>>
>>Thanks Ross for being honest with us.
>>
>Doe Whetstone/Dhrystones/IOStones cover enough?  Application testing
>is important, obviously, but should it be *real* applications (limiting
>us.  I'd like to ask your help in helping us to figure oput what to do.
>No promises, though: if we can't afford it in money or in time, we
>can't implement it.  But, I *know* that I'm not a benchmarking expert! :-)
>
>I'd be happy to collect mailgrams with people's ideas, but an open discussion
>might prove a bit more interesting to all.
>
>Ross
--- lotsa stuff deleted ----

Since "real users" are doing boring stuff like spreadsheets, databases, word-
processing and similar things, I think what you need are benchmarks that more
closely reflects such activities in a multiuser environment. Two benchmarks
comes to my mind: Neal Nelson's UNIX multiuser suite (commercial product, but
available at a reasonable price) and TP1(public domain, and what all the biggies
use for their benchmarks, operating system independant or reasonably so).
I think that a combination of those come as close as possible to what we would
really like to see.

|      Peter Frenning, Altos Computer Systems, San Jose                 |
| Who? Me?           | USENET:         pfrennin at altos.COM               |
| No way!            | 	       {sun,amdahl,elxsi}!altos86!pfrennin      |
| I wouldn't even    | VOICE:          (408) 496-6700                   |
| think of doing such| SNAILMAIL:      2641 Orchard Parkway             |
| thing. It must have|                 San Jose, CA 95134               |
| been somebody else!|                                                  |
|                    | FAX:            (408) 433-9335                   |
|                PF  |                                                  |