386/ix User-level Performance??

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Mon Sep 4 06:50:09 AEST 1989

>From article <6750 at stiatl.UUCP>, by john at stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond):
> dar at telesoft.telesoft.com (David Reisner) writes:
>

> I do think Interactive needs to look at its pricing structure.  It
> really makes me mad to see Unix unbundled in the first place. (This is
> NOT about the 1-2 user vs. unlimited issue.)  But then to see a complete Unix
> system cost more than the hardware it runs on is a bit much. (It has been
> entertaining to see how many netlanders are so ignorant of economics.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 I think you under estimate just how ignorant the netlanders are. First off
most of the people out here wait until others go out and blow all that
money just to see what the package is like. Than they wait to see if
the *ignorant* prices of lets say ISC's package or SCO's UNIX drops.
In the meantime others check out less expensive packages such as
Everex's ESIX or Dells SysV. I really think that Everex has a good
chance, their product is much more cost/effective than ISC. If only
they can speed their X-windows up a bit. From all my information this
may happen real soon. Thier prices are half that of ISC's package.
Your right certain UNIX packages are definately *overpriced* to the
point that the *end* buyer will not buy the package. If unix manufactures
think that devolopers and vars establish these high prices as
acceptable to a higher volume market, I think their dead wrong.
Var's and developers are very poor salespeople.

> REALLY hate to see Unix being sold so poorly packaged and so overpriced
> because it leaves such a gaping hole for imitation operating systems as OS/2
> to gain a foothold.  I wake up nights sweating at the nightmare of having to
> support an OS/2 platform :-)

  I'm sure we all can find problems with any package we buy. But your right
if you have any concerns the cost of OS2 verses UNIX as an issue.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400