Xenix vs. Unix?

Super user root at dynasys.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 08:16:37 AEST 1989

I run SCO Xenix on several systems and I'm thinking about getting a package
for my own system.  I just want to make sure I get the right thing.  So if
anyone can help me with these questions, I would appreciate it.

1)  What is the difference between SCO Xenix and SCO Unix?  Or what is the
difference between unix and xenix?  SCO was not much help - they told me
that with unix I would have "binary compatibility" with AT+T's unix.  So, what
does this mean for me.  What difference does that make?

2)  Can anyone recommend a version of unix/xenix for a 386 that has experience
with several different versions?  In other words, should I get SCO's unix or
xenix, or someone elses unix or xenix?  What's the differences here?

3)  I definitely am looking the the complete package, i.e. development system
as well.  Are there any differences in the development package?

4)  Does anyone know about SCO's product Open Desktop that's coming out in
October (supposedly)?  Is it the complete package - operating system and
development system, etc.?  Or just a development system?

5)  What are the price differences between the different versions of unix?

6)  Is the company that makes your preferred brand of unix good about support?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.  Please E-Mail me at
uunet!dynasys!root instead of using the above path as the site that gives me
my newsfeed is about to be shut down for a week.  Thanx again and have a good
one.

--
        Jesse W. Asher
        Dynasys               (901) 382-1705