Word Perfect 5.0 under vpix

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Sep 4 13:16:41 AEST 1989

In article <14623 at bfmny0.UUCP> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:

>>I got [WP 5.0] working under AT&T 3.2 by putting it on a DOS partition on
>>the hard disk - it has no problems accessing data files in the
>>unix filesystem.  It will probably also work if you install it on
>>the VP/ix  C: drive or set up another similar virtual disk.

>This usually indicates that the program is trying to do sector or FAT
>operations on a "drive" that is really the UNIX filesystem, disguised by
>REDIR.  VP/ix will let you do any file operation you like on a
>redirected file, but when you start to peek underneath the rug you blow
>up.

In this case I doubt it - the same program runs just fine using the starlan
DOS file server and accessing the directory on the unix machine from
from another PC.  Unless WP acts differently when it thinks it is on a
network and VP/ix doesn't "appear" to be a network drive.  I'm using
the network version and it always asks what type of network it is on,
which indicates that it doesn't recognize it.

>>                                                              The
>>problem appears to with VP/ix file locking, since the files are
>>handled individually in the unix file system but the floppies and
>>DOS hard disk partitions are given to the first user that grabs
>>them.  Of course only one user can run WP and in only one session
>>unless you make other copies.

>No, VP/ix gives the first requester Read/Write access and all subsequent
>requesters Read/Only access, except for serial ports.  If you run into
>this, Word should complain about a write protected drive.
       ^^^ Make that WP5.0.

But using the network to access the program directory from a DOS machine,
WP is perfectly happy with seeing a write protected drive and/or read-only
files.  However under VP/ix it won't load at all directly from the unix
file system and only lets one user/session load it from the DOS drive.

Les Mikesell