Need way to run multiple UNIXes on same 386 box

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Sun Sep 24 16:08:47 AEST 1989

Hi folks,

     I will soon have the "opportunity" to run two different
versions of UNIX on my 386 (along with DOS) and I wish to avoid
losing my mind switching between the two.  Each UNIX will
probably have its own ESDI hard disk, with DOS being on one of
the drives as well.

     Right now it looks like I'll have to manually swap cables
going to the drives to get the UNIX of interest to drive zero
so I can boot, and I will lose interest in this rapidly:  I
gotta find another way.

     Current thoughts are to try one of:

        [1] some kind of drive cable switch box
        [2] replacing the boot block (aka Microport's boot?)
        [3] boot a DOS program that prompts for the partition
        [4] something else

Choices [2] or [3] might allow me to run everything on a big
(~700MB) drive, and I guess this would be best if I could find
it.  A friend of mine recalls vaguely seeing something about [3]
but has no idea where he saw it.

     Any ideas?  Please?
     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl at vsi.com

"This posting is a word to the wise, but you can read it too" - me