Xenix vs. Unix?

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 6 07:11:13 AEST 1989

In article <34 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> Xenix also works with nearly everyone's tape drives.  386/ix works with
>> Wangtek only.  I could go on; the hardware support on 386/ix is "somewhat
>> lacking" IMHO.
>
>It doesn't even work fine with the Wangtek - as there is no way to format
>a tape (it appears on a menu under sysadm - but doesn't work).

But (Sputter sputter) the QIC-24 tapes (Wangtek, Everex, Archive...) don't
need to be "formatted".  Granted, the older 3B2 and HP tape drives which used the
same media (DC600) needed to be formatted, but they weren't QIC-24!

Did you perchance mean "retension"?  All you need to do is use the minor device
which does it for you when you open it...

    -John Plocher