Security bugs in SunOS 4.0.1

jdm jdm at hodge.UUCP
Sat Sep 16 15:50:43 AEST 1989

	According to the latest issue of the Sun Observer the
	newest version of SunOS, 4.0.2, fixes (among other things)
	five security bugs that are present in SunOS 4.0.1. A list
	of these bugs was not given.  I know one bug is the line

	::0:0:::

	being substituted for each blank line left in /etc/passwd,
	but what are the other four?  We probably won't be upgrading
	our 386i to 4.0.2 for a few months and this article has
	gotten a few managment (read, "non-unix") people quite
	paraniod about our current system security.

--

"I'm an anthropologist, not a computer systems architect, damit!"

jdm at hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz crash]!hodge!jdm

James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist	TEL: (714) 998-7750 Ext. 129
Hodge Computer Research Corporation	FAX: (714) 921-8038
1588 North Batavia Street
Orange, California 92667  USA