uugetty woes fixed (was: com2 under 386/ix)

Jonathan Broome jon at wilbur.uucp
Mon Sep 18 09:27:54 AEST 1989

In article <107 at dumbcat.UUCP> marc at dumbcat.UUCP (Marco S Hyman) writes:
: In article <1215 at sas.UUCP> jwd at sas.UUCP (John W. DeBoskey) writes:
: > Well, this may seem "off the wall", but why doesn't someone who has
: > good archives and has been through the process put a pair of small
: > docs together that contain this info.
: I've prepared a doc that is available for the asking -- and have sent it out
: to several people.

Well, I just received an early version of docs from someone else on how to
set up serial ports for bidirectional use under 386/ix.  This information
has even been *tested*, and also describes how to set up each of the popular
kinds of modems (Hayes 1200, Hayes 2400, Telebit) and get getty (note: _not_
uugetty -- it's no longer needed for normal use) to work properly.

To get a copy of these docs, call your 386/ix vendor/distributor and ask
them to get you the "Kernel Configuration X5 update".  As an added bonus,
the docs even come with a diskette, which contains updated serial drivers
which support interlocking devices and 16550 UARTs and generally fix most
of the complaints voiced on the net in recent days...  I'm running four
serial ports with 16550's and two modems (both bidirectional) and it all
works quite nicely, and I didn't even have to kludge in any non-standard
drivers into my system.

  ---Jonathan Broome
  jon at wilbur.uucp