Xenix vs. Unix?

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Thu Sep 7 00:17:08 AEST 1989

In article <8293 at spool.cs.wisc.edu> thurm at shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Thurmaier) writes:

>I also tell my students what doesn't work, or works poorly.  These I will
>share with you: IRWIN IS UNRELIABLE.  I wouldn't trust a saved rogue game
>to them.  Also, while maynard mainstreams reportedly work great novell servers,
>they haven't gotten the hang of getting them to work with xenix/unix yet.

I have had success with the Maynard units.  They install right, first time
every time.  And run right.  The only thing I have found is that sometimes it
didn't like to take the tar command the first time.  So I just made a scripts
that issued "mtape reset" as the first line, sleep a few seconds, and then
generate the tar command.  Users fire it off by logging in as "tape".
Perhaps you could explain to me/the-net what their problems are.  I am using
them under 2.2.3 on '286 machines, and 2.2.3 on IBM 80's.

Now one item in defense of Irwin.  They have always had the best magician
demonstrating their product at trade shows. :-)
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP