Xenix vs. Unix?

Alex Laney alex at xicom.uucp
Fri Sep 22 10:45:12 AEST 1989

In article <26 at fleet.UUCP> mel at .UUCP () writes:
>In article <34 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>> Xenix also works with nearly everyone's tape drives.  386/ix works with
>>> Wangtek only.  I could go on; the hardware support on 386/ix is "somewhat
>>> lacking" IMHO.
>
>SCO Xenix isn't all that great at tape drive support either.  Ever since I
>switched to 2.3.1 Xenix it takes TWO attempts at starting the tape drive.
>(I'm using an Archive 150 meg/QIC02 internal on my HP Vectra 386/RS20)
>(I also tried an Emerald controller as well as the original Archive unit)

This may be the Archive device driver. I am running Unix 3.2 with a device
driver they supplied that was really for Unix 3.0. (It was fun creating the
new device driver files for it)

Anyway, I get the same behaviour. Now, when I run with RFS enabled, the
device driver fails with a "not enough memory" error. It runs fine under
single-user mode, but does this two tries kind of mode often.

The Unix 3.2 I'm running on this box is Interactive 2.0.1, so I think it
is Archive's device driver.

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Group, National Semiconductor, Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (alex at xicom.uucp)     Fax: (613) 728-1134