Acceptable Unix Configuration?

John Richardson jr at frog.UUCP
Sat Sep 2 02:22:00 AEST 1989

In article <6700020 at adaptex>, neese at adaptex.UUCP writes:

> OOPS, I forgot,....you will have problems with the video adapter as it
> takes up all of the BIOS area.  This leaves no room for the Adaptec BIOS
> thus not allowing you to boot.
>

> 			Roy Neese
> 			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
> 			UUCP @ {texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese
> 				merch!adaptex!neese

  Well, I had to give up on the ADAPTEC BIOS, because I needed to boot
tape. So I got the AT BIOSKIT BIOS source from ANABOOKS in Folsum CA.
It cost about $200. After fixing bugs to get it working, I wrote a SCSI
driver to replace the hard disk functions for the BIOS, and included
an ADAPTEC host specfic module. I know can boot either disk or tape
without using the ADAPTEC ROMS. (Matter of fact, I disable them to make
rom for a large buffer ethernet board)

				JR