Perstor Card / SVGA Card on 386/ix 2.0.2

Steve Hite steve at hite386.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 15:25:25 AEST 1989

   After numerous phone calls I think my search for an RLLish (ARLL) HD
controller card and SVGA card that will work under 386/ix 2.0.2 is just about
over.

   I have a Multisync II so I was looking for a moderately priced VGA card
(around $270-$300) that had 800x600 resolution and reportedly had no probs
with the Interactive port of X.  I came down to 2 cards in my price range...
the Paradise VGA 16 + and the VEGA Video 7 Fastwrite.  However, I already
have the Perstor 180-16F 16 bit ARLL card (getting 130 meg off of a 70 meg
Atasi drive!) and wanted to make sure the graphics card wouldn't step on
its ROM location.

   Well, I called Perstor and first they thought that the PS180-16F might not
come up under 386/ix...it's working just fine under Xenix 2.3.3,  which sur-
prised them so they said to give it a try.  Perstor has a new model out
that gets the thumbs up on 2.0.2 from Interactive (according to the tech
rep at Perstor who got the word from them).  It's called the PS180-16FN.
Originally, the Perstor cards were designed just for DOS but the FN model
is specifically engineered for Unix 386 boxes (better timing they told me).
It lists for $345 but can be had for about $250-$280 depending on where you
go.

   Back to the graphics cards...Perstor tech support said they are having
all kinds of problems with the Paradise in 16 bit mode.  They said it wants
to use C800 which conflicts with Perstor's HD controller address.  It will
come up in 8 bit mode though.

   I called Video 7 and the tech rep said the addresses the Fastwrite uses
for it's ROM is C000-C7FF and D000-DFFF.  From this information it looks
like the Perstor will be okay but I have a call in to them just to make sure.
The rep also added that if there was a problem with 16 bit addressing to the
ROM that changing to 8 bit mode would not hinder the performance of the card.
She said this is because the ROM is not accessed that much in comparison
to the video RAM.

   I apologize for implying that the Paradise VGA 16 + is a bad card.  It
isn't.  Paradise got good reviews from all of the trades I looked at and
it DOES work under X, according to Interactive.  It's just that these VGA
comparison articles I read never take into account possible conflicts of
addresses with other cards in your system.  The moral for me is that if you
have doubts about compatibility of card combos in a system you're trying to
mail order parts for, BURN THOSE 800 NUMBERS UP and ask the tech reps if
they think what you're trying to put together will work.  When they know
that you're trying to get their card in your system they will be more than
happy to assist.  Friends help, too.

                                          Happy SVGA hunting for 2.0.2!

                                                      -Steve

P.S.  My dream combo was the ATI VGA Wonder card and Perstor HD controller
      card but, alas, the Wonder is not supported by Interactive's X
      (and not ESIX's for that matter).  Perstor rep said the Wonder works fine
      with the PS180-FN.