ALR CPU's

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Mon Sep 18 02:24:36 AEST 1989

In article <803 at qmet.UUCP> sc at qmet.UUCP (Steve Croft) writes:
>In article <2777NU013809 at NDSUVM1>, NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:

 [Greg speculates that the problem is a 16Mhz part goosed to 20 ]

>I bought a 386/2, an early 16-MHz box from ALR.  It had one of the early
>386 chips with the "16-bit only" stamp.  The problem was, I didn't know
>it contained the 16-bit version because ALR covered the CPU with
>motherboard serial number stickers!!!  In fact, it looked like one

While Greg's speculation was a real possibility for why the SCO kernel was
panicing on coming up, yours is not. If the CPU in the ALR was not a double
sigma chip ( the double sigma was a stamp on the chip meaning it did not
have the 32-bit bug ) the installation disk would detect this, inform you
and not install. This assumes, of course, that you were installing 386
Xenix.

I have heard of a number of cases where SCO could not be successfully run
on an ALR system. This, however was some time back and I have no idea on
their current boxes. I would certainly advise "try it before you buy it"!!
Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu