How many users _really_ ?

John Richardson jr at frog.UUCP
Sat Sep 2 02:26:00 AEST 1989

In article <120 at kse1.UUCP>, mike at kse1.UUCP (Michael Miller) writes:
> In article <323 at icdi10.UUCP> fr at icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:
> >In article <14760 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:
> >->In article <1989Jun27.074031.11661 at specialix.co.uk> jpp at specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
> >->Perhaps a better question is "How many 30+ user 386 systems do you
> >->know that run (period)."
> >->
>
> I know of one commercially available (or soon to be) multi processor (386's)
> backplane available.  It has 32 meg (plus) memory available, copious amounts
> of disk (something like up to 2.1 GB) and many other features.  I know it
> is AT compatible.  I have seen it run 16+ users reasonably and reliably using
> various desktop packages and doing some compilations of source.  This was a
> while ago tho and they may have gotten more performance out of it since
> then.  I don't know what os it runs currently.  They did use specially
> designed hardware to support the multiprocessing part of the architecture.
>
> The system has something like 128 serial ports (I doubt concurrently,
> but for sporadic users).  I have seen it run 64 users (up to about 16+ at
> any one time) do quite a bit of desktop work and printing in about 90 mins.
> Actually, it has more than 128 serial ports but a conflict in the device
> driver for those ports only permitted 128 ports for terminal usage.  This
> may have been resolved by now.
>
> Just to make sure people know where I am coming from, I used to work for
> this purposely unmentioned computer vendor.  I was part of this;
> I worked on the part of the project that got these benchmark results.
> --
> Michael Miller               Key Systems Engineering Corp.
> uunet!keysec!mike            4404 Cavalcade Ct.
> 1-301-731-7310               Burtonsville, MD. 20866

  I'd be ***REAL*** interested in any such machines. I have a multi-processor
UNIX OS that I have ported to the '386 AT systems, and I can not use its
multi-processor features until one of these machines come out. We are building
an OLTP product using 33 MHZ 386 motherboards, and want to upgrade to
multi-processor as soon as I can get hardware from someone.

					JR