ALR CPU's

John E Van Deusen III jiii at visdc.UUCP
Tue Sep 12 10:26:30 AEST 1989

In article <193 at rylos.UUCP> dave at rylos.UUCP (David Mutterer) writes:
> I personally don't see why you should "PAY THE PRICE" when there are
> so many good "nonames" that use very good motherboards (like Wedge
> Tech)...
>
>						- David Mutterer (n2idf)
>						{rutgers!}rylos!dave

I think a lot of people who follow this news group would prefer to
integrate their own 386 PC UNIX systems instead of paying ALR, etc. to
do it.  Could we possibly develop a concensus as to which are the best
motherboards within various performance ranges?  Probably not, but in
an attempt to get the ball rolling:

	In the 25 MH, cache memory, AT-compatible range is anything
	better AND/OR cheaper than the AMI 25MH available from Jameco
	for $1999.95 (JE3027)?

	In the 33 MH no-holds-barred AT-compatible range, is anything
	better AND/OR cheaper than the ... I'm not sure I want to know.

It is really only possible to make a comparison for boards that are
available to everybody in quantity one.  Please don't say Intel unless
you know of a quantity-one supplier with a real price for an actual
model number.
--
     "... a 680 in Computer Science is not equivalent to a 680 in
     mathematics." -- 1989-90 GRE Information Bulletin

John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii