Error-correcting modems & uucp

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Mon Apr 9 09:54:12 AEST 1990

karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>Strange; we run our Telebit locked at 19200, with XON/XOFF flow control
>enabled.

Be careful there.  This works fine when calling out with uucp spoofing
'cause the spoofing code disables it.  This also works fine for interactive
use.  But, this will blow you out of the water when you try to uucp to a
site which runs slow modems.  The first character flowing through which
looks like an XOFF will lock up the modem.  This one bit me just two
weeks back when I brought up telebits on chinacat.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You're not some icon carved out
chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent here to clean up