Need information on VP/IX or DosMerge ability

Christian Seyb root at gold.UUCP
Tue Apr 3 04:35:00 AEST 1990

tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:

>I sometimes wonder how many people who think Locus Merge is so much
>better than VP/ix are actually comparing the *286* VP/ix to the *386*
>Merge.  I have found VP/ix 386 to be extremely robust and amenable

I am using VP/ix together with ISC 2.0.2. I totally agree with you -
VP/ix is a very stable product. I even use Windows 86 and GEM on top
of VP/ix. I never ran into a problem.

The only detail which is better implemented in Merge is printing. You
have to either exit VP/ix or to explicitly flush the printer to start
printing. Merge did allow a configurable timeout. This allowed printing
to start after timeout seconds of no characters received.

I hope ISC reads this and considers implementing it.

regards Christian