Error-correcting modems & uucp

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon Apr 9 22:56:28 AEST 1990

In article <1138 at chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>Strange; we run our Telebit locked at 19200, with XON/XOFF flow control
>>enabled.
>
>Be careful there.  This works fine when calling out with uucp spoofing
>'cause the spoofing code disables it.  This also works fine for interactive
>use.  But, this will blow you out of the water when you try to uucp to a
>site which runs slow modems.  The first character flowing through which
>looks like an XOFF will lock up the modem.  This one bit me just two
>weeks back when I brought up telebits on chinacat.

Solution?  Don't do that, or dial out only to that site and have the dialer
script turn off XON/XOFF (you DO have DTR-resets-to-defaults, do you not?).

This is only a problem if Telebits are your only modems and you have to allow
uucp dialin from a slow modem.

The problem with the Equinox boards isn't that they wouldn't like to support
hardware flow control, it's that they couldn't get 24 ports worth of flow
control signals + modem control + data lines out the back of the board!

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]