How do you boot Interactive's SysV in single user mode???

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Fri Aug 17 02:09:41 AEST 1990

In article <brando.650761253 at uicslsb.csl.uiuc.edu> brando at uicslsb.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>mo at messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) writes:
>
>>Well- how in the world do you get it to come up single user?????
>
>I know this isn't EXACTLY what you are looking for, but....
>
>if you change /etc/inittab's entry for initdefault to 1, it will boot to
>single user mode everytime. I know of no other easy way to do this...

This comes up for us from time to time, because changes in hardware
configuration (like a dead serial box) can cause the system to
crash when coming up multi-user.  I've always just booted from
floppy and edited the inittab.  A more elegant solution(?) might be
to edit the binary /unix, changing the text string /etc/inittab to
something else; and saving the edited /unix under a different name.
Then, during the "booting unix..." initial message, give
the alternate kernel name and have the hacked inittab (perhaps
inittb1) include "initdefault s" or equivalent.  I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840