Windows 3.0 and VP/ix ??????

Wiljo Heinen wiljo at ipkima.uucp
Wed Aug 8 09:05:17 AEST 1990

Hello, world !

I got kind of a silly question.

We got this wonderful news Windows 3.0 here, right ?
We got MS-DOS machines and this new product seems to run (almost) fine.
But: We also got Interactive UNIX here. With NFS and all these bells.
Wouldn't it be nice to have Windows and all (or some of) its applications
running under UNIX.
Hold on - now there is vpix. Also wonderful product that runs (almost) fine.
Well / supports only 8086 emulation you say. Well - right - but is has
capabilities to emulate LIM-EMS 4.0 - or so they say.

OK now - let's see:
	Fire up vp/ix with ems, fine
	now what was this command to run Windows in "real mode" //
	aha.. "win /r"

Shouldn't it work, with all they claim ???

But it doesn't. VP/ix emulation tells me: Unable to emulate instruction.
					  Protection fault.

Anyone any ideas whether and how I could get this newborn baby to run
under VP/ix ???? Or why it is obvious that I can't ?????

If you mail, use:  wiljo at freesid.mamnix.quest.sub.org
		or wheinen at ipkama.ka.sub.org
		or wiljo%ipkima at mcshh.hanse.de

tnx and so long