Sys V.4 pricing, again; Mach 386

Mark McWiggins mark at intek01.uucp
Fri Aug 3 04:17:06 AEST 1990

Robert Burns at Technology Resource Center (1-800-433-4904) told me that
they're planning to offer Intel V.4 in the fall at $995 2-user or $1295
unlimited user.  (They had been planning to ship on August 15, but AT&T
is delayed with their release for some reason, and apparently there's
some agreement between Intel and AT&T that Intel won't ship until AT&T
does.)  Anyhow, this pricing looks more like something I can live with,
and Mr. Burns seemed to be an all-around reasonable guy.  (i.e. he agreed
with me. :) )

I had an extensive conversation again yesterday with the lady from UHC,
and it was pretty unsatisfying for both of us.  She offered her product
at $1995, but didn't grok my desire for a low-cost no-documentation
kernel-only license.  We do industrial automation, and a lean, clean,
mean, soft-real-time, multitasking machine is what we need, but we can't
pay $2000/node for the OS.  Maybe I wasn't communicating clearly, but
she just was adding up items from the price sheet:  "No, $895 for the
basic OS and another $895 for TCP/IP networking; that's the best we
can do."

Also, she was also quoting an August 15 release date, so I wouldn't be
surprised if they're committed to wait for AT&T as well.

I spoke with a guy at Mt. Xinu who said that they'll be releasing a
binary Mach for the 386 this fall some time.  I don't have details on
this, but he's supposed to call me.

Interesting times we live in. :)

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...