ISC X11v3 release 1.2 problems

David Rector drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Mon Aug 13 09:39:47 AEST 1990

I installed ISC X11v3 release 1.2 on a 2.0.2 system yesterday and
encountered the following problems (so far) with xdm:

   1.  When I log into xdm, execution of /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
fails. The message in xdm-errors is something like

     Session failed: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession

The Xsession file (which is present) is never executed (I put in an
echo to a file to test this).  The Xserver (Xvga) comes up with a
default xterm (the failsafe option in xdm - not the failsafe option in
Xsession).

   2.  The DisplayManager.userPath entry in xdm-config is ignored
(other entries are not).  The user path is set to

     :/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11

However, the following bug and security problem are fixed (from release 1.1)

   3.  Environment variable LOGNAME is correctly set.

   4.  The xdm authentication widgit will not authorize login
unless xdm is started by root.

I reloaded the xdm binary from release 1.1.  Problem 1 went away, but
problem 2 remains.  Bug fix 3 is still fixed. (I haven't tried 4).

I made a mistake in installation: unloading release 1.1 first.  This
did not seem to cause any problems except the usual one of an entry in
/etc/conf/sdevice.d being overwritten.  The drivers for release 1.2
(which are system 2.2 drivers) compile ok with the kernel.

Machine: Kangaroo i486 with 12mb ram
Display: Orchid Prodesigner Plus
Mouse: Logitech Trackman
System: ISC 2.0.2 with some 2.2 drivers
xdm startup: via init

Any ideas?

David L. Rector				drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Math.				U. C. Irvine, Irvine CA 92717

David L. Rector				drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Math.				U. C. Irvine, Irvine CA 92717